Don’t throw away your Nintendo Wii just yet! It still has life left in it!
I still have my Wii, but I also see them littering thrift stores for pretty cheap all the time as parents clean out their kid’s rooms when they leave for college or whatever. Sometimes I will see 3, 4, or 5 for sale at a time.
I found a Nintendo Wii at a thrift store with hookups and a Wiimote for $10, but with my Loyalty Card the price was $5. How could I say no!!! Even though there was a policy of “no returns for electronics” I figured that for the price of a cup of coffee and a bagel I could have something to tinker with for a few days and maybe get some use out of.
To my amazement it worked perfectly as soon as I brought it home! My first thought was to to softmod it with the Homebrew Channel so I could install third party software (not blessed by the hand of Nintendo) and the Wiimmfi Patcher so I could play games online where service has been discontinued. Mainly so I could get my ass kicked by middle school kids in Mario Kart Wii, which more often than not is what happens.
Even though this is not cutting-edge stuff, I decided to record myself doing the softmod because it was just fun to do, and I sincerely hope you enjoy watching it.
I did this softmod using an SD card, because I like the idea of being able to store a lot of Homebrew software on the Wii, and YES I am aware that there are simpler ways of using the Wiimmfi Patcher without the Homebrew Channel. This is just my personal choice and I like it better. If you play emulated games on your Wii I think you’ll find this method to be better as well.
In this video we will:
* Remove parental controls that were on the Wii when I first got it
* Format the Wii to original factory condition
* Update the System Software
* Install the LetterBomb exploit onto an SD Card
* Execute the LetterBomb exploit on the Wii via the Message Board
* Install the Homebrew Channel
* Install an NES Emulator for the Homebrew Channel on the SD Card (FCE Ultra GX)
* Install the Wiimmfi Patcher for the Homebrew Channel on the SD Card
* Register Wii console with Wiimmfi using Mario Kart Wii
* After waiting period, play Mario Kart Wii online!
Wii Parental Control password reset tool
List of homebrew emulators
General Wiimmfi Statistics
#RestorationTherapy #NintendoWii #HomebrewChannel #Wiimmfi #WiBitNet